Non-surgical treatments that may relieve the pain and pressure of bunions include the following:
- Padding, taping, and splinting – see your doctor for help with taping and padding your foot into a normal position, which can reduce the stress on the bunion and help get rid of the pain
- Medication – anti‐inflammatory medicines and cortisone injections can help with acute pain and inflammation
- Apply ice to the bunion to help relieve soreness and inflammation
- Orthotics – custom shoe inserts may be prescribed by your doctor to help relieve symptoms and prevent the hammertoe from becoming worse
- Change shoes – select roomy shoes that provide plenty of space for your toes
If the pain persists, see a doctor. If the conservative treatments listed above don’t relieve your symptoms, you may need surgery. Please see our menu for information on Surgical Treatment options.